In the immediate vicinity you will find numerous hiking- and mountain-bike trails, and in the winter Alpine skiing and cross-country tracks.
An 18-hole golf course, tennis courts, horse trekking, a casino and many inviting restaurants with excellent gourmet cuisine are also close by.
The Formula-1 racetrack Spa-Francorchamps is only 30 minutes by car, as well as the charming towns of Monschau, Malmedy and Stavelot.
A personal diary (WebBlog) kept by Hubert Savelberg in the Dutch language and thousands of photographs on what there is to see and do in Wirtzfeld is available on the Internet at www.wirtzfeld.be
Year in year out, the Belgian Ardennes draw the necessary guests, and most of them certainly do not come here for the first time. You can literally cross all the borders. An account of a day’s trip may actually involve going through three different countries. The borders with Luxembourg and Germany are close by, and even France is within easy reach.
Places such as Eupen, Malmedy, Han and Remouchamps provide the necessary sites. And don’t forget to feel the spray at the Coo waterfall.
Wirtzfeld is a lovely and peaceful village perched at an altitude of 2,000 ft (650 m) in Belgium’s East Cantons. Here, Nature still lives naturally. Silver in the spring, green in the summer, gold in the autumn and white in winter.
Seasons follow each other, as seasons ought to.
Because of its elevated situation, Wirtzfeld offers excellent cross-country skiing in the winter.
The local cross-country tracks are drawn with a snowmobile!
In addition, there are enough hills around Wirtzfeld to go tobogganing with the small children.
* Restaurants: Wirtzfeld itself and the neighbouring villages boast a number of excellent restaurants.
* Playground: the little ones will also enjoy the playground facilities available in Wirtzfeld.
* Other possible activities in Wirtzfeld: tennis (with appointment), guided walks, fishpond, bicycle hire, indoor swimming pool, sauna, fitness centre, rafting, bowling alley.
* Hiking: several marked hiking trails, as well as along fields, through the forests of Wirtzfeld and Rocherath and on the shores of Bütgenbach Lake.
* Winter: cross-country skiing (in Wirtzfeld 4, 8, 10 and 12 km tracks).
* Shopping: you will find all sorts of shops in Büllingen (barely a mile – 1.5 km – up the road).
* Bütgenbach Lake with its many water sports.
Other sites in the immediate vicinity:
* Malmedy (in the summer the shops are open even on Sundays…)
* The Formula-1 racetrack Spa-Francorchamps
* The casino in Spa
* Lake Robertville
* Hellenthal: a wonderful wildlife park featuring falcons as one of the attractions
* Kommern: Open-air Museum displaying folk traditions and crafts (similar to Bokrijk), but with many beautiful walks, very interesting
* The Toy Museum in Prüm
* Eifel Zoo – Pronsfeld (Prüm)
* Kripanna, an exhibition of nativity scenes in Hergersberg
* The largest model railway in Europe at Losheimergraben
* Monschau with its famous small traditional half-timbered houses, pleasant shopping streets, castle, museum and beautiful walks
* The Botrange nature park with the tower on the Signal de Botrange and Baraque Michel
* The Pottery Museum housed in Raeren castle
* The Jacques Chocolate Museum in Eupen
* The dam, museums and parks in Eupen
* Burg Reuland, Ouren…
* The Military Museum in Elsenborn
* Herba Sana – The Garden of Health (Ortis)
* Burg Reinardstein
* Track car (“Railbike”) in Sourbrodt
* Thermal baths in Spa
* and many more…